Waste management are all the activities and actions required to manage waste from its inception to its final dispos
al. This includes collection, segregation, transport, treatment and disposal of the waste together with monitoring and regulation
The hospital has developed a waste management plan that describes measures to manage and mitigate all aspects of waste management, including the generation, handling, storage treatment and disposal of all forms of waste in the hospital is developed.
The procedures for waste treatment and disposal as stated in the plan are as follows;
- All medical / clinical and hazardous waste, Products of conception and non-viable fetuses, General waste, (paper, sanitary products, nappies etc.) will be shredded and sterilized at the waste treatment plant (Ecodas).
- The sterile products will be disposed by Community waste management- (Zoomlion)
- Organic waste (Food/kitchen waste) and Recyclable Products (plastics, tins and cans, metals) will be disposed by the Community waste management- Zoomlion
- Liquid waste from sinks, drains and pots from the hospital sewer leads to a Septic tank and pumped into the bio-digester plant where the wastes would be anaerobically treated.
- The treated water(by-product) is discharged into the Sakumono lagoon